Whether you are trying to engage and work with children, youth, parents or community members, it is important to consider the ways in which you communicate with them. This workshop aims to introduce prevention professionals to the key concepts around effective communication, and how these relate to their role in substance abuse prevention and mental health promotion.
Objectives: (for CEU’s)
Participants will be able to name/explain/use:
- A variety of styles, modes and aspects of communication
- A personal communication style
- How effective communication skills can improve/enhance effectiveness with target population
- Duarte, Nancy. The Secret Structure of Great Talks, TED.com
- Bandura, Albert. Social Learning Theory, Bandura 1977. learning-therories.com
- Hogan, Julie. Substance Abuse Prevention – The Intersection of Science & Practice, Bandura’s Social Learning Theory.
- Myers, Smith, & Swanson. The Communication Process, 2009.
- Treasure, Julian. 5 Ways to Listen Better, TED.com
- Baird, Nancy. My Communication Style, Training Strategies.
Format: PowerPoint, Facilitated Discussion, Interactive Activities, Videos
- 1 to 1.5 hrs. (Conferences only)
- 3 hr. Workshops