This workshop will discuss the Seven Essential Ingredients for Trauma Informed Care. The focus will be on the prevalence and impact of trauma and an overview of perspectives, regulation, relationships, a reason to be, and caregiver capacity will be reviewed. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) concept of Trauma and Guidance for a Trauma-Informed Approach will also be covered. An overview of how trauma leaves survivors with invisible wounds, as well as age related behaviors and attitudes in relation to child development will be discussed.
Participants will be able to name/explain/use:
- The Six Key Principles of a Trauma Informed approach
- Correlations of the ACE Study and trauma
- The 7 essential ingredients for Trauma Informed Care
- Typical reactions children and youth have to trauma
- Guidelines for working with trauma survivors
- Community resources for trauma survivors
- The Adverse Childhood Experiences Study. Retrieved from cdc.gov/violenceprevention/childabuseandneglect/acestudy/about.html
- Buffington, Kristine (2015). Saving Private Ryan and James and Jamie…Saving lives and promoting resiliency with Trauma‐Informed Care. Retrieved from http://www.courtswv.gov/public-resources/CAN/wvcip/2015Cross-Training/Helping-Children-Heal.pdf.
- Dech, Eva and Darby Penny (2013). Bringing Trauma-Informed Practices to Peer Support. Retrieved from http://www.nyaprs.org/conferences/annual-conference/documents/NYAPRSTIPSpresentation9-10-13.pdf.
- Principles of trauma informed care. Retrieved from http://www.mhpod.gov.au/.
- Seven Essential Ingredients. Retrieved from SaintA.org.
Format: PowerPoint, Facilitated Discussion, Interactive Activities, Videos
- 1 to 1.5 hrs. (Conferences only)
- 6 hr. Workshop (1.0 hr. ATOD Specific)
(CB, KD, JD)