All parents want their children to have the social, emotional and coping skills necessary to navigate a world that has increasing negative messages and opportunities that place them at risk. They want children who are resilient and able to cope with life’s inevitable problems and setbacks. This workshop will explore ways to educate parents, educators and community members in how to raise resilient children who have the skills needed to value their unique capabilities, show empathy and have respect for self and others, maintain meaningful relationships, make responsible decisions and achieve positive goals.
Participants will have the opportunity to begin developing an action plan for implementing a Raising Resilient Children strategy. In line with developing an action plan, participants will understand the 5 domains and skills and behaviors within each of the domains; and an appreciation for the value of teaching parents, educators and community members of the importance of learning about Raising Resilient Children.
Participants will be able to name/explain/use:
- Five resiliency domains: Self-Awareness, Social Awareness & Competence, Relationship Skills, Responsible Decision Making, Sense of Purpose & Future
- The primary skills/behaviors within each of these domains
- Ideas on how they can implement programs and share information with parents, educators and community members on Growing Resilient Children
- Resources in their community to assist their coalition with a Raising Resilient Children strategies
- SEL and the CBSG® Program: The 5 Major Messages, Rainbow Day’s Curriculum-Based Support Group (CBSG®) Program
- Empathy vs. Sympathy, Brené Brown, https://youtu.be/1Evwgu369Jw
- SAMHSA Tip 57
- The Resilient Self: How Survivors of Troubled Families Rise Above Adversity, Stephen & Sybil Wolin
- Risk and Protective Factors, Hawkins and Catalano, University of Washington
- Mister Roger’s Neighborhood, Fred Rogers
Format: PowerPoint, Facilitated Discussion, Interactive Activities, Videos
- 1 to 1.5 hrs. (Conferences only)
- 3 hr. Workshop