Curriculum-Based Support Group (CBSG®) Program
The Curriculum-Based Support Group (CBSG®) Program is a unique, multi-cultural, evidence-based preventive intervention for selective and indicated populations. The program is designed for males and females, ages 4-17, whose high-risk situations - including Adverse Childhood Experiences, attitudes and behaviors place them at elevated risk for future behavioral and health problems including substance abuse, delinquency and violence.
The support group modality sets the CBSG® Program apart from other preventive interventions. Children and youth meet in confidential, small group settings and are taught a set of essential life skills to help them learn how to: cope with difficult family situations, resist negative peer pressure, respect themselves and others, set and achieve goals, make healthy choices, and refuse alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.
The CBSG® Program is curriculum-based and has been recognized by the National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices (NREPP), Center for Substance Abuse Prevention (CSAP), and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Empirical studies show that the CBSG® Program reduces anti-social attitudes and rebellious behavior, increases anti-drug-use attitudes and intentions, reduces early substance use/experimentation and increases coping and social skills.
The original CBSG® Program was developed in 1982 for use in schools and community-based settings. To accommodate a variety of settings, age groupings for schools and community-based settings are available in separate manuals:
- CBSG® Program for Schools & Community-based Settings, also available under the titles:
- Kids’ Connection (ages 4-12); and
- Youth Connection (ages 10-17)
The CBSG® Program curriculum has been adapted to meet specific needs of certain populations:
- CBSG® Program for Homeless Shelters, Group Homes, & Transitional Settings (also known as Kids’ Connection, Too – Ages 4-15)
- CBSG® Program for Christian Faith-Based Settings (also known as Faith Connection – Ages 4-15)
To replicate the CBSG® Program, you must be trained as a facilitator. Rainbow Days provides CBSG® Program Facilitator Training nationally and internationally. Please refer to the Training Information & Services for details concerning training fees, schedules, etc.
General information on the CBSG® Program:
- CBSG® Program Overview (in Acrobat PDF)
- Curriculum-Based Support Group (CBSG®) Program: Target Group in Relationship to Different Prevention System Definitions
Read the CBSG® Program Scope and Sequences:
- Rainbow Days' CBSG® Program: For Children and Youth Ages 4-17 for Use in Schools and Community Based Settings Scope and Sequence (Kids' Connection & Youth Connection)
- Rainbow Days' Rainbow Days' CBSG® Program: For Children and Youth Ages 4-15 for Use in Christian Faith-Based Settings Scope and Sequence (Faith Connection)
- Rainbow Days’ CBSG® Program: For Children and Youth Ages 4-15 for Use in Shelters, Group Homes and Transitional Settings Scope and Sequence (Kids' Connection, Too)
Research & Evaluation
Independent review of the CBSG® Program conducted by the National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices (NREPP):
Information on the CBSG® Program Research and Evaluation:
- Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills (TEKS)
- CBSG® Logic Model
- CBSG® Program - 2003 Control Group Study- Final Report
- Texas Department of State Health Services - Statewide Evaluation - CBSG® Program
Additional research articles:
- Report by John J. Hedl, PhD -Inhalant Abuse: Deadly, on the Rise Again, Linked to Delinquency and Violence, and Preventable