Positive Alternative Activities are activities which allow youth to master new skills, bond with their peers, school, and community, and give them an alternative option instead of using of using alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs. This training will focus on innovative activities to open up communication, break boundaries, and develop relationships among prevention facilitators and students.
Objectives: (for CEU’s)
Participants will be able to name/explain/use:
- In-depth examples of activities that can be used as Alternative Activities
- Generating new activities
- A handout with more than 45 Alternative Activities
- HHSC Contract (for the definition of what an alternative activity is)
- Jackson, Tom (1993). Activities that Teach. Red Rock: Utah.
- Jackson, Tom (1995). More Activities that Teach. Red Rock: Utah.
- Jackson, Tom (2000) Still More Activities that Teach. Red Rock: Utah.
Format: PowerPoint, Facilitated Discussion, Interactive Activities, Videos
- 6 hr. Workshop